Re: POP3 mail fetcher that supports unreliable connections?

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 19:06, Pigeon wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 05:38:44AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 16:36, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > > Is there a POP3 mail fetcher that wouldn't download messages twice
> > > when the POP3 connection may sometimes stall (so that the messages
> > > couldn't be deleted from the server)?
> > >
> > > If there is such a fetcher written in Perl based on Mail::POP3Client,
> > > this would be a good solution.
> >
> > Have you tried fetchmail?  The messages in /var/log/mail.log seem
> > to indicate that it deletes each mail after a successful fetch.
>
> By default it doesn't delete them until you hang up; a connection
> failing may not be the equivalent of a proper hangup. You could try
> fetchmail -e 1 so it only fetches 1 email at a time then QUITs then
> goes back for the next one... but this is slow and nasty, see the man
> page.

But it sure is secure.

Btw, is your ppp connection that bad that it can't stay up for 5
minutes?

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"As the night fall does not come at once, neither does
oppression. It is in such twilight that we must all be aware of
change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting
victims of the darkness."
Justice William O. Douglas