Re: upgrade->dead system, help.

Hiya,

Well, as mysterious as this whole thing started it also ended.
Today i did an update which updated the following packages on
my system

binutils_2.14.90.0.7-1_i386.deb
debconf-i18n_1.3.20_all.deb
debconf_1.3.20_all.deb
fakeroot_0.8.1_i386.deb
fontconfig_2.2.1-9_i386.deb
libc6-dev_2.3.2.ds1-9_i386.deb
libc6_2.3.2.ds1-9_i386.deb
libfontconfig1_2.2.1-9_i386.deb
linux-kernel-headers_2.5.999-test7-bk-6_i386.deb
locales_2.3.2.ds1-9_all.deb

Just for the hell of it i tried to boot one of my custom
2.4.22 and wadda ya know, each and everyone of those
kernels now works again.

I'm *really really reaaaaally* curious as to which package
caused  all this kernel trouble for me and some others,
but also glad my custom kernels are fully
operational again.

Also i'm still wondering what this
linux-kernel-headers_2.5.999-test7-bk-6_i386.deb
"linux-kernel-headers - Linux Kernel Headers for development"
is doing on my system.
Is this package at all related to the 2.5.x kernels?(since
i don't run anything 2.5 related)

cheerios

Stephen J. Thompson wrote:

Hello all,

I am encountering this problem as well. I have been able to narrow it down to the kernel itself. If I use a debian standard kernel (2.4.22 or 2.6.0-test9) it boots fine. if I use a kernel I compiled myself (This kernel worked fine before the upgrade) it just stops at the INIT: version 2.65 booting line.

I have tried building both initrd and non-initrd kernels but no joy. Could it be a particular kernel option I have (or have not selected)

I hope this helps someone figure this issue out.

Regards,

Stephen.