Re: Microsoft good press over Longhorn

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 23:37, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 05:13:01PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> > Nah, that was EDIT.COM - before that appeared I used to use the Turbo
> > C editor to edit text files; I think the guys who wrote EDIT.COM did
> > too.
>
> I remember c:\dos\edit.com fondly as well, probably the best text
> editor to ever come out of MS.  Still doesn't hold a flame to emacs,
> but hey, it's Microsoft we're talking about here, so what do you expect?

Well, I discovered Edit when our department got a IBM  PC with a dot-matrix
printer.   At that time we engineers had to write specifications on a
mainframe terminal in some 'scripting' language, send them off to some queue,
phone up Accounts (who owned the mainframe) and beg them nicely to run some
compiler on it and send it to the Print queue, then phone up Printing and
tell them it was ours.   If we were lucky, next day, we'd get the result and
(if we'd made no mistakes in our scripting!) it would be readable.   If not...

Nobody told me about Edit, I found it by accident.   But as soon as I saw it
I recognised The Future.   Or, Freedom.   I printed off one page to prove to
myself that it would work, went to the mainframe terminal, logged in, typed
"Change Password", shut my eyes and typed in random letters, locking myself
out of the detested mainframe forever.    :)

Does anyone wonder why I hate Thin Clients...?   ;)

cr