Re: Microsoft good press over Longhorn

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 06:47:14PM +1300, cr wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 08:43, Pigeon wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 09:40:01PM +1300, cr wrote:
> > > I suppose I could go all the way back to  Edlin.....
> >
> > I still use ed...
>
> ed - is that the DOS full screen editor?    Vastly superior to edlin, of
> course.   And it was simple, consistent and it worked.   What more could one
> want?  ;)

Nah, that was EDIT.COM - before that appeared I used to use the Turbo
C editor to edit text files; I think the guys who wrote EDIT.COM did
too.

ed is /bin/ed - the *nix equivalent of Edlin... I use it for
simple/repetitive edits (like sticking "> " at the beginning of each
line of something I'm going to quote) and/or where I don't want to
lose the context of what I'm working on by wiping out the contents of
the screen opening a full screen editor.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons