Re: [ot] Linux gender in French

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 07:26:52PM +0100, Christophe Courtois wrote:
> Le Dimanche 2 Novembre 2003 07:20, Bijan Soleymani a d?clam? :
> > > Hmmm... what exactly does the word "Linux" sound like in French?
> > The Li is kind of like Lee,
> > the nux is kind of like nooks.
>
>  It seems that people speaking only English can't pronounce the 'u' the
> way we use it - does not seem to exist in English. This is the same as
> the '?' in German if it can help someone (we're the only language to
> pronounce 'u' that way...)

Well I did say kind of like :)

You're right though, none of the other languages I am familiar with has
that same u sound (English, Farsi (well we don't have the letter u,
because we use Arabic script...), Spanish), I don't remember much latin
but I don't think they had it either (I think u was pronounced like oo).
But I do think that Swedish might have a similar sound for u.  I have a
friend who speaks some Swedish and he confirms it :)

Wait I just found this on a website about latin:
short y
a rare vowel in Latin; combines English long oo and ih, as in
French u or German ü
tu (Fr.); über (Ger.)

long y 	likewise rare;
still combining English long oo and ih, for a longer time
tu (Fr.); über (Ger.), with emphasis

Well I guess they had the sound but not for 'u'. This is cool because I
believe the Finnish also pronounce y the same way, which is weird,
because Finnish isn't really related to latin...

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>
http://www.crasseux.com