Re: package purging and app configuration

> /var/lib/dpkg/info/ding.list is a file that is part of the ding .deb
> package.
>
> if you look at it, it will tell you where all the files that
> ding installed are.
>
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/ding.postinst is the post-install script
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/ding.postrm is the post-remove scirpt
> .../ding.preinst is the pre-install script
> .../ding.prerm is the pre-remove script
>
> check them and see which line is causing the problem.
>
> if needed, comment a line out, if this helps you remove or purge or
> reinstall. and then re/install it and see if this fixes the problem.
>
> BUT if you have to change a script, its a bug. If you found it,
> thousands of others will too, so file a report to speed up the bug-fix
> process!

Interesting, but I'm still stuck. I didn't see now to change the start
up script to get around the problem. So I did the following in an
attempt to start with a clean slate:

   # aptitude purge ding
   deleted /var/...archives/ding
   check in /var/lib/dpkg/info to make sure there were no ding files
   # aptitude update
   # aptitude install ding

When I then run the application, I still get the same error (unknown
color name "" in startup script) when I run # ding. Does that mean
that there's definitely a bug? It ran once nicely, but in looking at
the color preferences options, I thought I did it some damange, but
apparently its more than just this. And yet there's no bug reports
like this, and I keep thinking the problem is with me.

All I needed was a simple graphical interface for dict (gsdict seems a
nuisance), and I may have started with one that is problematic.

--
      Haines Brown
	brownh@hartford-hwp.com