Re: Bootsplash in Debian

Damien Solley wrote:

Thanks for you answer, Nicolas. It seems that it may indeed be a framebuffer error. Although I had
assumed my kernel framebuffer was working correctly (because I am
getting 1024x768x8 console) there is an error. My dmesg output includes:
$ dmesg|grep vesafb
vesafb: abort, cannot reserve video memory at 0xe0000000
vesafb: framebuffer at 0xe0000000, mapped to 0xe0969000, size 832k
vesafb: mode is 1024x768x8, linelength=1024, pages=0
vesafb: protected mode interface info at a5f3:1f5f
vesafb: scrolling: redraw

If it is incapable of reserving the video memory, does this mean that
bootsplash won't work on this machine? It has an integrated I845
chipset, with only 1MB memory onboard, and shared memory via agpgart (no
more memory is available until after kernel boot, when it is initialized
with the 845patch by Christian Ziet). Regards
Damien

What kernel are you using?  How much main memory do you have?  How
much video memory?

-Roberto