Re: Network unreachable

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 03:28, Marshal Wong wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 20:21, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> > When I use the kernel that I built from the source for 2.4.18-686, I get
> > the message:
> >
> > sendto: Network is unreachable
> >
> > when I try to ping another machine on my network.  Using ifconfig, I
> > noticed that eth0 had no IP address assigned.  So I did
> >
> > ifconfig eth0 down
> >
> > and then
> >
> > ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.8 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> >
> > At that point, ping worked.  So it seems as if dhcp is not working.  Is
> > there something in the kernel configuration that is required to make
> > dhcp work?
> >
> > I am still not able to browse the web.  I get the message "Could not
> > connect to host ..." no matter what URL I use.
> >

> I've noticed that dhcp doesn't change any configurations.  If I run
> dhclient, it spews out the information for the dhcp, but that's it.  It
> doesn't change any network settings.  It's been that way for a long time
> now, but I've just worked around it...  Good to know that someone else
> is having the problem...
>
> Anyways, to help you with the "Could no connect to host..." problem, you
> probably need to add a default gateway to your routing table.
>
> Check if the default gateway is reasonable using
>
> # route (as root.  Haha!)
>
> If not, then
>
> # route add default gw <ip.address.of.gateway>

That should not be necessary.  ifup should do that for you, if your
/etc/network/interfaces has this in it:
  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
YODA: No... no... no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
LUKE: But how will I know why Python is better than Perl?
YODA: You will know. When your code you try to read six months
from now.