Re: Network unreachable

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 20:21, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> When I use the kernel that I built from the source for 2.4.18-686, I get
> the message:
>
> sendto: Network is unreachable
>
> when I try to ping another machine on my network.  Using ifconfig, I
> noticed that eth0 had no IP address assigned.  So I did
>
> ifconfig eth0 down
>
> and then
>
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.8 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
>
> At that point, ping worked.  So it seems as if dhcp is not working.  Is
> there something in the kernel configuration that is required to make
> dhcp work?
>
> I am still not able to browse the web.  I get the message "Could not
> connect to host ..." no matter what URL I use.

I've noticed that dhcp doesn't change any configurations.  If I run
dhclient, it spews out the information for the dhcp, but that's it.  It
doesn't change any network settings.  It's been that way for a long time
now, but I've just worked around it...  Good to know that someone else
is having the problem...

Anyways, to help you with the "Could no connect to host..." problem, you
probably need to add a default gateway to your routing table.

Check if the default gateway is reasonable using

# route (as root.  Haha!)

If not, then

# route add default gw <ip.address.of.gateway>

Good Luck.

Marshal