Re: Can't install networking.

Arnt Karlsen wrote:

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 12:06:21 -0800 (PST), "Mark Healey" <deblist@healeyonline.com> wrote in message <[🔎] 200311012006.hA1K6Um9004108@localhost.localdomain>:

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 17:53:27 +0000, Pigeon wrote:
Go ahead and install Debian, without worrying about getting the NIC
working yet. Use the machine that you're posting from to go to
http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/kernel-source-2.4.22.html
and download the .deb of kernel-source-2.4.22. Then install that,
install make-kpkg, and build yourself a 2.4.22 kernel with support
for the Broadcom.
I have no idea how to manualy install a kernel and adding extra stuff
to it means editing files I have no understanding of.  I'm going to
stick with just trying to make a module.

..no need: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/misc/kernel-package.html

..instead of wasting time on tossing stuff into your deb in the un-deb
way, click-n-read the the links we gave you.

But rather than grabbing the source and compiling his own, could he not just grab the already compiled version (such as this one for the upper Pentium archs: http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/kernel-image-2.4-686.html) and install it and get support for the nic. Much easier in my opinion than rolling your own.

--
Kent