Re: Can't install networking.

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 05:54:12AM -0800, Mark Healey wrote:
> I should mention that I had to download this from Broadcom.  I have a
> CD with a source RPM and a .tar.gz.  On an earlier attempt I tried to
> compile it from source but after I expanded the .tar.gz I couldn't
> extract resulting .tar.  I'd run tar -x bcm4400-2.5.0.tar and nothing.
> No disk activity, no expansion, I'd have to control-c out of the
> program.

That's because you missed out the f option:

  tar xf bcm4400-2.5.0.tar

... and you can include the expansion of the .gz in it as well:

  tar xzf bcm4400-2.5.0.tar.gz

> I'm going to install once again from the "vanilla" CD since the module
> doesn't seem to be compiled into the "bf2.4" one as I was told.

Right. This won't get your Broadcom 4400 working though. None of the
install kernels have support for it.

However, you obviously do have some net access, to be posting on this
list...

Go ahead and install Debian, without worrying about getting the NIC
working yet. Use the machine that you're posting from to go to
http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/kernel-source-2.4.22.html
and download the .deb of kernel-source-2.4.22. Then install that,
install make-kpkg, and build yourself a 2.4.22 kernel with support for
the Broadcom.

> Mark Healey
> deblist@healeyonline.com
>
> Giving debian a chance.