Re: Apt-get: move from cdrom to online-sources

Rob, I think it's comming along:

> > If so, apparently the following is
> > wrong/insufficient:=20
> >=20
> > Acquire
> > {
> >   Retries "0";
> >   // I added this next subsection:
> >   http=20
> >   {
> >     Proxy "http://127.0.0.1:3128";;
> >     Proxy::http.us.debian.org "DIRECT";  // Specific per-host setting
> >     Timeout "120";
> >     Pipeline-Depth "5";
> >    =20
> >     // Cache Control. Note these do not work with Squid 2.0.2
> >     No-Cache "false";
> >     Max-Age "86400";     // 1 Day age on index files
> >     No-Store "false";    // Prevent the cache from storing archives   =20
> >   };
> > };
>
> Are you actually intending to run a proxy on this machine?  If not,
> comment out the Proxy lines in this section and try "apt-get udpate"
> again.

I did as you said, literally (commented out just the two proxy lines),
and it may have gone better. This time I piped the output, so know I
captured the entire file. It starts with a lot of this:

  Err cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1 _Woody_ - Official i386
      Binary-7 (20021218)] unstable/contrib Packages
      Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD recognized by APT.
      apt-get update cannot be used to add new CDs
      Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1 _Woody_ - Official i386
      Binary-7 (20021218)] unstable/contrib Release

I get this for all severel installation disks. Is this because the
disks are listed in my /etc/apt/apt.conf file? If so, should the cdrom
lines be removed from there; or should I just ignore all these error
messages?

Finnally, I get to what I hope is what I am supposed to see:

Hit http://ftp.br.debian.org woody/main Packages
Hit http://ftp.br.debian.org woody/main Release
Hit http://ftp.br.debian.org woody/contrib Packages
Hit http://ftp.br.debian.org woody/contrib Release
Hit http://ftp.br.debian.org woody/non-free Packages
Hit http://ftp.br.debian.org woody/non-free Release
Hit http://debian.teleglobe.net woody/non-US/main Packages
Hit http://debian.teleglobe.net woody/non-US/main Release
Hit http://debian.teleglobe.net woody/non-US/contrib Packages
Hit http://debian.teleglobe.net woody/non-US/contrib Release
Hit http://debian.teleglobe.net woody/non-US/non-free Packages
Hit http://debian.teleglobe.net woody/non-US/non-free Release
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...

"Hit" is a nice word. I hope it is what I should expect.

But it failed the test. I wanted to install sudo, which is not on my
distribution cdroms, and so ran:

# aptitude install sudo

All I get is a lot of warnings that it can't find the file on the
cdrom disks. No sign that it tried any web respositories. It is
reading the cdrom section of my /etc/apt/sources.list, but not its
deb-src http... entries.

Haines