Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

Karsten M. Self wrote:
> Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> > In that situation, mutt's
> >     set ignore_list_reply_to = yes  # fix broken mailing list software
> > option is what you need!
>
> [...]
> All the more reason why reply-to munging is harmful in
> the first place.
>
> But in a balance of evils, it's acceptable.  Just pointing out the
> possible pitfall.

Instead I target specific lists with this problem and convert them in
a procmail recipe.  This is a correction to be applied before any
other mailer gets to it.

Here is an example from the aide list which munges reply-to.  YMMV.

  # This list munges Reply-To: so just nuke it.
  :0 fhw
  * ^Sender: owner-aide@cs.tut.fi
  | formail -i "Reply-To:"

This has the unfortunate effect that reply-to is just completely
useless.  It was made useless when the original list munged it.  But
two wrongs do not make a right.  Three do.  :-)

Bob