Re: [OT] Why does X need so much CPU power?

On ה', 2003-09-11 at 13:39, Tim Connors wrote:
> Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> said on Thu, 04 Sep 2003 01:33:32 +0300:
> > Actually those are all the things that converted me to linux. Windows
> > kept failing on me in all those respect every monday and thursday.
> > I don't know what I am doing wrong, but the only thing that I had a
> > problem setting up was dri, which I later found was quite east using the
> > debian packages, and swsusp, which I am still having some problems with.
>
> Ha ha. Yeah, I don't think you'll gry swsusp working anytime soon. If
> you have an older laptop, stick with the BIOS's method of suspending
> to disk. If newer, ACPI doesn't work properly yet for this.
>
> swsusp has so many problems, it is not funny. And the last few days,
> watching the kernel mailing list, there seems there are going to be
> more probs in 2.6.

I don't know whats going on now with swsusp under 2.6, last time I
looked in the kernel mailing list there was a lot of shouting about the
changes and where /proc/acpi/sleep went.
However under 2.4 its already working quite nicely.
some people do get some trouble at times, but its quite stable. I
suspend and resume several dozen times without problems, by that time I
usually switch kernel again so ... I just got dri+mach64 to work with so
I am happy.
The problem is still with suspend to ram which I don't expect to work
any time soon, and is not related to swsusp but to acpi.