Re: ..dead ext3 journals, was: Nagios on Debian

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 07:00:42PM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 08:22:22 -0700,
> "Jeremy T. Bouse" <jbouse@debian.org> wrote in message
> <[🔎] 20030903152222.GA23194@UnderGrid.net>:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 04:55:53PM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > > On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:48:40 -0700,

> > > .."a web server" == "an Apache webserver"?  There are _several_ out
> > > there, even some lightweight...
> > >

> > 	Well it's put as "apache | apache-ssl | httpd" which should
> > allow any web server package to be used however the packaging at this
> > time only knows how to try and configure itself to run on apache or
> > apache-ssl...
>
> ..ah, so with boa or monkey webservers I just have to figure out
> config stuff myself.  ;-)

	Well I'm not the official Nagios maintainer I'm just working on
a NMU for it to get the plugins package working since maintainer hasn't
had time to work on it... I also don't run boa or monkey webservers so
I'm the last person you'd want trying to figure out the config stuff :)

> > 	By changing debian/control so that it "Suggests" the web server
> > rather than depends on it you could setup a distributed monitoring
> > system with Nagios as listed on the Nagios documentation[1]. Also it
> > made more sense to change the "Depends" to "nagios-plugins |
> > netsaint-plugins (>= 1.2.9.4-7)" rather than as a "Suggests" or
> > "Recommends" as Nagios doesn't make much sense without them...
> >
> > 	Regards,
> > 	Jeremy
> >
> > [1]http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/distributed.html
>
> ..thanks, while I got your attention:  there _are_ ways to monitor
> ext3 and other journalling fs'es for journalling failures?  Had a
> few ext3 go ro on /var and /home and trigging a kernel panic is
> usually overkill, especially on raid-1, I would have expected the
> "journal demon" bail out the "bad disk" and do fsck and restart
> the journal and resync etc, but with Red Hat 7.3-9 and Debian, it's
> "at best" "errors=remount-ro".

	This could be handled by Nagios in theory... I'm not aware of
any plugin at this time that checks journal status but I'm sure one
could be written and with the assistance of a properly written event
handler script auto-correct the solution... In the production systems
I'm runing Nagios in we have some event handlers which restart hung
processes before they cause problems...

	Regards,
	Jeremy