Re: Nagios on Debian

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 04:55:53PM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:48:40 -0700,
> "Jeremy T. Bouse" <jbouse@debian.org> top posted in message
> <[🔎] 20030902164839.GC20588@UnderGrid.net>:
>
> > Nagios itself is necessary... Also I've worked out the dependencies so
> > that Nagios can be setup in a distributed fashion as documented in the
> > Nagios docs where you only need the central server to have a web
> > server installed... It didn't make sense to have it "recommend" the
> > plugins but "depend" on the web server which meant you couldn't
> > install nagios as a probe-only server with no web interface and
> > installing Nagios without the plugins doesn't make much sense at
> > all...
>
> .."a web server" == "an Apache webserver"?  There are _several_ out
> there, even some lightweight...

	Well it's put as "apache | apache-ssl | httpd" which should
allow any web server package to be used however the packaging at this
time only knows how to try and configure itself to run on apache or
apache-ssl...

	By changing debian/control so that it "Suggests" the web server
rather than depends on it you could setup a distributed monitoring
system with Nagios as listed on the Nagios documentation[1]. Also it
made more sense to change the "Depends" to "nagios-plugins |
netsaint-plugins (>= 1.2.9.4-7)" rather than as a "Suggests" or
"Recommends" as Nagios doesn't make much sense without them...

	Regards,
	Jeremy

[1]http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/distributed.html