Re: libc.so.6

Philip Clark wrote:

Hi there,

I have managed to delete /lib/libc.so.6 and since the whole system
depends on it eg. I can't even create a new link or new file. Also
booting from a boot disk doesn't work. Does anyone have any ideas? I am
presuming a rescue disk is the way to go. How do I make one?

Last time I did that I wound up booting off a knoppix cd, mounting the root partition and unpacking a deb of libc by hand.

You can unpack a deb file with ar. Just run "ar x <debfile>". You'll wind up with 3 files. control.tar.gz (control/install scripts) data.tar.gz (what you want to unpack in your root partition to get libc back) and debian-binary (text file).

After rebooting I did an apt-get --reinstall install libc6 just to make sure everything was back the way it was supposed to be. It worked for me, good luck.

--

Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

"The Torah...  The Gospels...  The Koran...
Each claimed as the infallible word of GOD.
Misquoted, misinterpreted, misunderstood, and misapplied.
Maybe that's why he doesn't do any more interviews." - sinfest.net

CARPE NOCTEM, QUAM MINIMUM CREDULA POSTERO.

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/pas/Mental.asc