Re: simple backup script

Kirk Strauser wrote:

At 2003-09-02T04:58:31Z, Jacob Anawalt <jacob@cachevalley.com> writes:

I guess if your 2nd hard disk is the same size or larger than the first
and you want an exact copy of everything then dd might be the way to do
it.

Umm, no.  dd gives consistent backups *only if* the drive being copied not
mounted writeable.  If not, then there's a very significant possibility that
the backup may not even be fsck'able.

rsync is pretty handy for syncing live filesystems.
Cool, thanks for the tip. I'll add that right next to "don't use dump" on my list of things to avoid. :)

Jacob