simple backup script

Hi,

I'm looking for a simple backup script, which uses e.g. dd and additionally does some error handling and mail notification. I use amanda for my daily and weekly backups, but to feel more secure, I installed a second harddrive in my server today. Now I'm looking for a nice and secure script, which does a full backup of the first harddisk each day.

Secondly I'd like to do a fullbackup of a remote server, but I'm not sure what's the best way to do a e.g. a dd over the lokal network. May be the obove script could use for both.

Thanks,
Marcus