Re: syntax highlighting in vim

Thus spake Emma Jane Hogbin:
> Sometimes when I'm searching for strings in Vim the syntax highlighting
> gets turned off. I'm unable to reset it unless I (1) quit the program; (2)
> scroll to the top of the page and then scroll back down.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm using 6.1.474. It tends to
> only happen with longer files. My current file is 1250Lines and is
> technically [dos] format (although it's just a PHP file).
>
> Any solutions would be much appreciated. The "switch to Emacs" type of
> solution will be silently ignored. ;)

I've seen syntax highlighting get messed up and just sort of "turn off",
with the same characteristics, but only with much older vim versions
(5.x days).  I routinely edit C files much longer than 1250 lines, and
haven't seen it with the vim in unstable.  (The only place I've seen it
is on a Redhat 6.2 machine).  It could possibly be a bug in the PHP
syntax highlighting...

Next time it happens, try:
:syntax off
:syntax on

If it happens regularly, you might even want to bind a key combination
to those.  (Or file a bug report)

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

Individuality is the aim of political liberty. - James Fenimore Cooper