Re: [OT] Why does X need so much CPU power?

Sorry for the separate post, but I found it too late...

On Tuesday 02 September 2003 20:51, Yves Goergen wrote:
> And a question just of interest: Is there something like a global clipboard
> in Linux as we know it from Windows? I mean not only per application, but
> shared by the entire system (or maybe user, in this case).

There actually are three of them...

http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/clipboards-spec/clipboards.txt

The biggest problem:

From the document:
> A remaining somewhat odd thing about X selections is that exiting the
> app you did a cut/copy from removes the cut/copied data from the
> clipboard, since the selection protocol is asynchronous and requires
> the source app to provide the data at paste time.

Data isn't actually copied into the clipboard but merely a reference is kept.
The document talks about "cut buffers" which only support ASCII data but
which don't seem to have that problem.

--
Got Backup?