Re: [OT] Why does X need so much CPU power?

On Tuesday, September 02, 2003 8:00 PM CET, Erik Steffl wrote:
>    btw the overhead of client/server isn't anything that one needs to
> be concerned about even on 386 (X with reasonable WM performs
> same/better
> as windows)

Could be, yes (I don't know). Just as a note, Windows has the same feature.
OK, a similar one. You can connect to a remote desktop and see all
applications/windows on your client. It's called 'Terminal Services' and
works a bit like X connections. Servers are available with Win2k Terminal
Server or WinXP. Clients (also from third-party) work on any recent Windows.
Some of them even display single windows on the 'server' as independant
windows on the client desktop... nice feature.

But by the way: 2 questions on that:

I have set up a debian Linux box and would like to run X applications on it.
I haven't installed nor run the X server on the Linux machine itself, but
I'd like to tunnel the X connection through SSH. That works fine for my
account at university. I can run my cygwin X server locally (with a window
manager running from local, too. think it's blackbox or so) and run xclock
on the SSH shell. But when I do this on my own computer, it says it "cannot
connect to the display <value of $DISPLAY>". I actually don't know what this
variable is for nor what would be the right value for it. I've tried the
value from university, the one I entered in PuTTY (for X forwarding) and
some others, but it just didn't work.
So what libraries do I have to install (I guess I already have them all) and
what's the correct value for $DISPLAY ?

And a question just of interest: Is there something like a global clipboard
in Linux as we know it from Windows? I mean not only per application, but
shared by the entire system (or maybe user, in this case).

--
Yves Goergen
nospam.list@unclassified.de