Re: xmms, esound in mixed stable/unstable

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 18:25:49 -0500
Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>     "John" == John Holland <jholland@tomsw.com> writes:
>
>     John> I just switched my laptop to Debian. I'm using a mix of
>     John> stable and unstable. Sound works with ogle, but with xmms or
>     John> xine it is very choppy.
>
> A common mistake people make with Debian starting out is not enabling
> DMA on the drives. Debian does not do this automatically.
>
> man hdparm
>
> for how to check this out. To enable DMA on boot up try
>
> apt-get install hwtools
> editor /etc/init.d/hwtools

hdparm is in it's own package these days:
apt-get install hdparm

However, I have never used it to change the settings on my drive. Well,
I did, and I almost lost the drive. Now I just check 'enable DMA by
default' in my kernel config. I just keep hdparm around for 'hdparm -Tt
/dev/hdX' to see what my throughput is.
--
-johann koenig
Now Playing: Violent Femmes - Promise : Violent Femmes