Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 01:56:39AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 10:26:56 +0200
> Anders Arnholm <anders@arnholm.nu> wrote:
> > Yes but why does you need it if you don't get bad files from other
> > programers using tabs for spaces wides as indention?
>
>     Because new people to Python haven't yet learned about no tabs?

And most of the use 4 spaces wide tabs? Or just use one tab as indention
level? In every case that still explans why python code found on the net
other looks realy bad indented. Don't take it personal, it just explans
for me why it look so bad.

> > I saw and knew what expandtabs does, I don't have it my self most of the
> > time, but in some projects it's nice however in most enviroment all
> > progamers know NOT to change tabstop and then tabstop is always 8 wide in
> > all files.
>     Since we're talking Python here and since vim does autodetect quite nicely
> between Python and C (and Perl and.. and... and...) and one can set the
> tabstop, expandtabs and the like based on the file edited.  What exactly is
> your point?

If you feel that it's necessary to changes tabstop to four to get the
code readable, then only reason to have tabstop set to four, then that
explans why code found on the ner look bad. It's also stated in
the Python language definition that tabstop is at 8 spaces, and changing
this might actually changes the syntax of a program, given that the
actually is a mix of spaces and tab in the source file. (And there is a
recomendation not to have tabs for crossplatform compability.)

/ Anders

--
      o_   Anders Arnholm,               HiQ - Consultant
 o/  /\    anders@arnholm.nu             Phone  : +46-703-160969