Re: Spamassassin + exim

On 03-08-31 16:56 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:15:09 -0400
> kenneth dombrowski <kenneth@ylayali.net> wrote:
> > well, there's definitely something wrong with my setup since upgrading
> > from 2.43 -> 2.55 this past week, I've fed sa-learn almost 2k --spam
> > and >4k --ham messages, and I'm yet to see a single BAYES_* test in the
> > headers
>
> Is it turned on? IE, do the rules files have Bayesian rules in it?  Are
> they scored higher than 0?  Do they have it enabled?  Do your personal
> preferences have them enabled?  Have you fed it large amounts of ham only to
> have that dump into your personal filter and looking at it from the global or
> vice versa?

Thank you, Steve, your last question prompted me to rethink what was
going on. I am calling spamc via dman's SpamAssassin/Exim 3 method
(which must run as user mail to set $received_protocol) but calling
sa-learn as my user. I had another look around, and it looked like the
auto-learning was happening in /var/mail/.spamassassin, while I'd
only been looking in my ~/.spamassassin dir

I re-read `man spamd` (among many others), and decided I would just
employ a system-wide bayes_ db -- nobody else really uses the box right
now anyway -- so I added this to /etc/spamassassin/local.cf:

 bayes_path /var/mail/.spamassassin/bayes
 bayes_file_mode 0664

which I expected to have permission problems with. The original
permissions were:

 # ls -lA /var/mail/
 drwx--S---    2 mail     mail         4096 Sep  1 00:11 .spamassassin
 # ls -lA /var/mail/.spamassassin/
 -rw-------    1 mail     mail         1496 Sep  1 00:11 bayes_msgcount
 -rw-------    1 mail     mail       118784 Sep  1 00:11 bayes_seen
 -rw-------    1 mail     mail      1327104 Sep  1 00:11 bayes_toks
 -rw-r--r--    1 mail     mail          741 Aug 21 01:20 user_prefs

I made these modifications:
 # addgroup --system  sa
 # adduser kenneth sa
 # adduser mail sa
 # chown -R mail:sa /var/mail/.spamassassin
 # chmod g+rwx /var/mail/.spamassassin
 # chmod 0664 /var/mail/.spamassassin/*

And sent myself a test message from my work account:
     version=2.55

So it seems to work.

In the end it might have been easier to just filter @ the Procmail
level, but I understand with Exim4 it's possible to reject mail @ the
SMTP level based on SA results.. which seems like a desirable thing to
implement when I finally get around to upgrading exim

If it's a half-baked approach, I'd appreciate any comments..

Thanks again,
Kenneth