Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 14:38, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:47:34 -0500
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 08:30, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > >     I find it the worst of the three I presented.
>
> > Color me surprised.  Why do you think it's the worst?
>
>     Because of the excessive vertical separation.  Of the three I presented
> (which I don't know the names, my apologies) I prefer (and code in) B.  EG:
>
> if cond {
>     block
> }
> else {
>     block
> }
>
>     A, which I believe is what you're referring to as BSD style, has the
> excessive vertical separation.  C has the problem that else, which is an
> important keyword for understanding the code, does not being in the first
> column.  B has the shortest vertical footprint, has the closing braces line up
> with the appropriate block and keeps all keywords relevant to the current
> block unobscured and in an obvious location.

I've lost the post you're referring to.  Suffice it to say, though,
that I don't find the excessive line spacing of the BSD style to be
excessive.  In fact, it's very handy when not using Unix and there
is a missing brace.

But, of course, that's not an issue in The Clearly Superior Language,
is it?

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Our computers and their computers are the same color. The
conversion should be no problem!"
Unknown