Re: Yet another HDIO_SET_DMA failed problem

[See if THIS threading works.]

Johann Koenig <explosive@att.net> wrote:
>On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:18:06 -0400 (EDT)
>tmcd@panix.com wrote:
>>     hdparm -d 1 -k 1 /dev/hda
>>     HDIO_SET_DMA failed: operation not permitted
>> [and it works under knoppix]
>
> Are you compiling from source, or using kernel-images? I use VIA
> board, and build in VIA82CXXX chipset support
> (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y) as well as Use PCI DMA by default
> (CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y)
> Look in /boot/config-<kernel-vesion> on Knoppix to see what modules are
> built in. Hint: grep is your friend.
>
> jkoenig@note:/boot$ grep -i ali config-2.4.21
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3 is not set
> ^Thats probably the one you want
>
> # CONFIG_WDC_ALI15X3 is not set
> ^Maybe that one too

Thanks for the suggestion!  I didn't know about /boot/config*.  A lot
of things in my kernel was compiled in as "m", and I made them "y"
like Knoppix.  There were some things set to "y" in Knoppix that I
couldn't set to more than "m" in make xconfig; probably I'd have to
enable experimental code ot that one option three screens back that
enables 12 different parameters scattered all over.  Anyway, I changed
these (not necessarily contiguous):

    # ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support
    #
    CONFIG_IDE=y
    # IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
    #
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y

    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
    CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
    CONFIG_IDEDISK_STROKE=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
    # Presumably unnecessary
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ISAPNP=m
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3=y
    # CONFIG_WDC_ALI15X3 is not set

It came up in DMA mode, and "hdparm -t" reports 55 MB/sec.  Many
thanks, Johann!

--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd@panix.com; work is tmcd@us.ibm.com.