Trust 610 Cardreader USB

I am trying to get the above USB card reader to work under woody
with a 2.4.18 kernel. Before I purchased the device, I did some
searching on the web, and came up with this promising page:

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=1729&PHPSESSID=1568bb227d93770694b5b436529bbe33

Where a certain Dieter Lange <dieter.lange@t-online.de> said:

tested w/SuSE8.0 (kernel 2.4.18-4GB):
Sandisk CF 64MB, Sandisk SD 256MB: ok;
other devices not (yet) tested, but no suspicion they would not work

This seemed promising enough to risk the €80 to buy the thing ("if
SuSe can do it, I bet Devbian can"), but so far I am not having much success. With the cardreader plugged in and a CompactFlash card inserted prior to boot, if I try lsmod I get this:

usb-storage            54460   0
usb-uhci               21836   0  (unused)
usbcore                57088   1  [usb-storage usb-uhci]

I have the device showing up as a Generic mass storage device in usbview, but when I try to mount it with any of the following:

mount /dev/sda /mnt/cardreader
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/cardreader
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/cardreader
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/cardreader
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/cardreader

then mount complains that I need to specify a filesystem type. I have
tried with all the filesystems I can think of, but they all fail with
various read errors (I could post much more if anyone responds to this
post, but want to avoid making this too long). Under Win2k (here at work), it all works fine, so the problem is not in the reader or the card.

I wrote to the aforementioned Dieter for suggestions, but after two
months he still has not responded. I guess I am probably missing something, and could use a few pointers. Has anyone here had success with this device and could provide some tips

Thanks in advance,

--
Cheers,

   .~.