Re: make-kpkg: permission denied making modules_image

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 09:31:28 +0200, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> said:

> i hope you don't mind me asking a question...  also sprach Manoj
> Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> [2003.07.06.0223 +0200]:
>> % sudo echo 'debian := 5:501c' >> /etc/kernel-pkg.conf

> what does this line do?

	It sets the debian revision without me having to remember to
 do so all the time.

> the reason why i don't like your approach, although i really
> appreciate you showing it to me, is as follows: i have about 33
> machines under my control, each of which i run with customised
> kernels. and each of which is different, of course.

	I fail to see why my approach would cause you a
 problem. Indeed, I think it would save you disk space.

> and manoj: i don't think i quite get lndir yet. i mean, i understand
> 100% what it does. i just don't know how i can profit of it. it only
> works if the ln'd source trees all have the same patches, right? so
> unless i want to keep a source tree around for each patch
> combination, it won't really help me a lot, right?

	Ok. I like to upgfrade between kernel version using patches
 from ftp.us.kernel.org; so I need to keep a source tree in as near a
 pristine state as I can.

	So, here is what I do.

	Once I have /usr/local/src/kernel/linux-2.4.20, say, I do
 this:

 last_version=2.4.18                        # I never went for 2.4.19
 for machine in kallissin ember smaug scatha glaurung, tiamat ;do
   mkdir $machine
   scp $machine:/boot/config-$last_version $machine/.config
   cd $machine
   lndir ../linux-2.4.20
   cd ..
 done

 for machine in kallissin ember smaug scatha glaurung, tiamat ;do
   if [ -f . configdirs/$machine ]; then
     . configdirs/$machine
     # $patches is now either empty, or it has --added-patches=a,b
   fi
   cd $machine
   make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --append-to-version $machine \
       $patches $modules kernel_image
   if [ "X$modules" != "X" ]; then
      fakeroot make-kpkg  --append-to-version $machine \
           $patches $modules modules_image
   fi
   make-kpkg clean
 done

	See? Each lndir directory only has files that were patched, or
 object files; and the ../linux-2.4.20 is pristine, ready to be
 patched up to 2.4.21.

	manoj

--
Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everyone in good society holds
exactly the same opinion. Oscar Wilde