Re: OT: How to get IP address via Samba name?

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:47:41 -0500
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> Kent West wrote:

> > Ah, "nmblookup -S somePC" works just fine. Thanks!
> >

> Then again, apparently not. The fourth octet appears to be wrong, so I
>
> suspect the address I'm getting is of some other machine along the
> way, perhaps a router or something.

No, shouldn't be anything like that.  There shouldn't really be any
tricks to it.

> So, -S doesn't work. -T doesn't work. -A doesn't work. -M doesn't
> work.

Did you try plain old "nmblookup PCname" ? That's the standard usage, no
options.  If that still doesn't work, it could be a conflict with
/etc/hosts or DNS, though I'm pretty sure nmblookup should bypass those.
What kind of network are we dealing with here?

--Todd