Determine what font is selected?

I'm running Debian/Testing, but I also have
a /etc/fonts directory and /etc/X11/XftConfig -- basically, I have no
idea how fonts work on this machine... ;)

Bascially, I installed some new fonts which screwed up my window manager
fonts.  Then trying to use xfontsel and manually set fonts for icewm is
just not working like I'd expect.

Anyway, I installed these few font packages today:

ii  ttf-larabie-de 20011216-3     Decorative fonts from www.larabiefonts.com
ii  ttf-larabie-st 20011216-3     Straight fonts from www.larabiefonts.com
ii  ttf-larabie-un 20011216-3     Special decorative fonts from www.larabiefon

and now my Icewm title bar, taskbar and menu fonts changed
(unfortunately to a rather unreadable font).

I tried adding

  TitleFontName="-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*"

to my local icewm preferences file, restarted icewm but it didn't seem
to make any difference in Title bar.  I can select that font with
xfontsel, though.  So I'm not sure if icewm is not using that font, or
what.  Other chagnes I make in my .icewm/preferences file do show up,
though.

I noticed I was able to change fonts by selecting different themes, so I
tried using some of the font selections from that theme.  For example I
tried:

  TitleFontName="-artwiz-snap-regular-r-normal-sans-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"

And indeed I got different fonts.  Odd thing is that there's an _extra_
asterisk at the end of that font name.  xfontsel has 14 fields, but that
font has 15.  So I added an extra "-*" onto my first font so it looked
like:

  TitleFontName="-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"

and I get the same title font as the "artwiz" font.  So I suspect that
extra asterisk is causing invalid font selection.

Humm, and for example in xfontsel I can pick a helvetica font with:

   TitleFontName = "-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-15-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"

but when I place that in icewm I get a different font for my titles --
but I can change the size of that font by changing that "15".  So I'm
very confused about what's happening.

Is it possible to debug this?

First question: I assume a program asks for a given font, and XFree86
picks the best matching font available and uses that.  Is there a way to
monitor what fonts are requested and what fonts are selected?

For example, is there way to find out what font a program, say icewm, is
requesting and what font X is really selecting?

Next question: is there a utility that I could use to print out all of
my fonts, each in its own font?  I'd like to have a printout of all the
fonts installed to make it easy to select fonts by look.

Finally, here's my Fonts setup in XF86Config-4.  I've seen posts on this
list recommending the 75dpi fonts before the 100dpi -- but if I do that
then many of my fonts are very small.  I've also tried placing the
TrueType fonts first, without much change.  I'm just posting here incase
there's anything setup incorrectly that someone could point out.

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
        FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID"
EndSection

Fonts really drive me crazy.

--
Bill Moseley