Re: Worked around (dirty...) How to apply no-debianized kernel patch to debianized kernel-source?

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 11:33:09PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> However, I'll stop here and not say anything more unless there are
> specific questions; I think I've put forward my point as best I can and
> your licensing decisions are as always yours alone.

I don't think you've put any points forward. All you've done is shot down
what I've said. (1) Your license is wrong, go look at debian-legal. (2)
the posts you've found are wrong. If you want to be helpful to someone I
recommend suggesting what you think IS the right thing to do, and back up
your explanation with URLs of what is the Debian concensus.

At this point I have put in well over 50 hours working on this
*single* document. I have also put in an additional 5-10 hours doing research
on why the 2.4.21 kernel does not behave the same way as the 2.4.20 kernel
when it comes to APIC options and make-kpkg. I don't actually care
about kernel development (although I'm very glad that others do), I just
want my laptop to work--which it now does. I wrote the documentation
for myself and have offered it to the open source community as a
"here you might find this useful" kind of document. I was then asked
by one debian user to contribute my documentation to The LDP.
The submission process involved doing a re-write of my original text and
converting the document from valid XHTML to DocBook, a markup language that I
have learned for this project. I'm now working on revising the LDP XSLT
templates (and possibly DocBook templates from a debian package)
to correct the HTML output so that my document will validate when
it is translated BACK to HTML.

I certainly was not expecting to have people tell me that the license
is wrong and therefore my work seems to suddenly have no use to the debian
community. If I sound a little pissed off it's because I am.

*many more irritated remarks deleted*

This is *not* the way to keep volunteers motivated. Period.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]