Re: xdm starting, but not configured

> On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 04:04:47PM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
>> Pigeon wrote:
>> > Don't forget Ctrl-Alt-F[1..6] to get from your garbled X screen to a
>> > console.
>>
>> Tried that, no dice. So i re-installed. I'm so impatient, eh?
>
> Ack, my apologies - I should have mentioned that there's a shell
> option on the install disk from which you could have disabled your xdm
> login. Go as if to install; on the screen with the scrollable menu
> that the installation process walks you through, scroll down the menu
> and somewhere near the bottom you'll find "Execute a Shell". So you
> just go straight to that without doing any installing, and you can
> then mount your HDs by hand and edit the init scripts or whatever.

Tried that too. But when I tried to mount / the files from /etc were
missing so I couldn't reconfigure it to not start xdm. I guess it thought
that the CD's files were etc? I'm not sure, but I did try that route.

I'm now getting very close to being back. I've installed wireless, nvidia
drivers and am just doing sound. The rest (hopefully) will be software
stuff like cups. I've used my old config files to build the kernel and am
hoping that parallel printing is still set up the way I think it ought to
be. I'd say I've done VERY well though. The first time through it took me
*months* to get as far as I've gotten in one day. I understand the way
things work and I'm very good at taking notes. There were still a few
things that I bashed at randomly until they worked, but I also think I
understand why they worked in the end.

yay me! :)

emma

--