Re: error from root

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 09:46:18AM +0200, Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:
> I keep getting this error:
> Subject: Cron <root@web> root test -e /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts
> --report /etc/cron.daily
>
> /bin/sh: line 1: root: command not found
>
> and when I do:
> web:~# dpkg -l anacron
> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
> uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> pn  anacron        <none>         (no description available)
>
> I get this.
> So if I'm not totally off here, someting is running anacron,
> wich isn't installed?

You're totally off. :) The crontab entry quoted above is malformed; it
looks to me like you or something else has taken a line from
/etc/crontab and copied it straight into another crontab file. However,
/etc/crontab has a special syntax: it has an extra field for the
username, that is "root" above. When you use lines like that in other
crontab files you need to remove the username field.

Cheers,