Re: add a guest user?

* ScruLoose (scruloose+debuser@eastlink.ca) [030602 21:42]:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm wondering whether there's any 'standard' way to set up a guest
> account on my machine.  It would be mostly used for friends coming over
> and wanting to check Hotmail in Mozilla, and such.
>
> Now, I'm sure I could just add a regular user of name 'guest' and then
> start restricting access manually, but I seem to remember there being
> some utility for doing this automatically; and it could get kinda
> crazy-complicated to do it all by hand (for example, I see no need for
> Exim to be aware of the guest user)...

If your friends really are your friends[1] -- that is, you're not too
worried about security -- there are many easy ways of doing this.  You
could even just allow them to use your own account.  On a desktop
machine at home, I allow my own user account to log in to gdm without a
password, so my girlfriend can use my account without me trying to spell
out my password.

I use pam_listfile to specify that its sufficient for a username to be
in my /etc/gdmusers file to allow login sans password.  The machine's
off right now, so I can't paste in the line, but if you want it, I can
do it tomorrow; just ask.  I'd bet you could figure it out yourself if
you look at the linux pam system administrator's guide for pam_listfile
and the use of "sufficient".

[1] friends don't let friends use hotmail, though...

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/