Re: DriveStatusError

* Nicos Gollan (gtdev@spearhead.de) [030602 15:19]:
> Hi all...
>
> After messages about "error" messages like
>
> hdc: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdc: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
>
> showing up in syslog got rather common over the last months and I had one of
> those today, here's something I found about it:
>
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0212.0/1339.html
>
> Basically, error 0x04 is a warning that the drive was confused by a command it
> didn't understand. Some more digging brought advice that might or might not
> help. The main tenor is that you should try fiddling with the DMA mode used
> or change some settings in your boot loader (which sadly weren't listed
> anywhere I found).

I would guess that "change some settings in your boot loader" really
means "change your kernel parameters", i.e. try ide=nodma and the like.
Of course, your kernel probably doesn't have dma enabled by default
(unless you compiled it that way) so this may or may not apply.  Of
course, you could have a look through
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt and see if there's anything else
that looks relevant.

Also, just for shits and giggles:

noodlenose:~% /usr/games/fortune -m LikeThis
(knghtbrd)
%
<Overfiend> Thunder-: when you get { MessagesLikeThisFromYourHardDrive }
<Overfiend> Thunder-: it either means { TheDriverIsScrewy }
<Overfiend> or
<Overfiend> { YourDriveIsFlakingOut BackUpYourDataBeforeIt'sTooLate
            PrayToGod }
%

good times,
Vineet