DriveStatusError

Hi all...

After messages about "error" messages like

hdc: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

showing up in syslog got rather common over the last months and I had one of
those today, here's something I found about it:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0212.0/1339.html

Basically, error 0x04 is a warning that the drive was confused by a command it
didn't understand. Some more digging brought advice that might or might not
help. The main tenor is that you should try fiddling with the DMA mode used
or change some settings in your boot loader (which sadly weren't listed
anywhere I found).

One thing from personal experience: If you're running smartd, be sure that
SMART support is turned on on the disk.

If you're facing other errors, you might still be in trouble but perhaps
fiddling with the settings will help.

--
Got Backup?