Re: nvidia video cards

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 20:15:08 -0600
bob@proulx.com (Bob Proulx) wrote:

> > When you install the Debian nvidia packages, the tarballs are put in
> > /usr/src.
>
> Only if you don't care which version you get.  See in my message my
> description of problems with the current version at the time of my
> last installation.  There does not seem to be any other way of
> specifying a specific older version such as I have done here unless
> you wget them first.  Therefore I had to wget 2880 in order to specify
> that version which was a known working one for me.
>
> And I dug up the details on which version was really bad for me.  The
> nVidia version 4191 was the driver version that caused me all kinds of
> trouble from a few months ago.  It had display corruption problems.
> Reverting to the older known good version fixed the problem.  Since
> the current version is now 4363 which is several builds beyond the one
> giving me fits I will assume they have likely fixed that problem.  So
> the current one is probably going to be just fine for people.

Good point; thanks for that.

I discovered that the stable nvidia packages include the 2880 driver and
that's the version that works for me.

I also discovered (as you have) that the testing/sid packages have different
versions of the NVIDIA tarballs from one download to the next. My solution
was to squirrel away copies of the stable packages (outside my archive),
just in case the maintainer decides to change those too.

The 4191 version caused problems for everybody. I don't know anyone who was
able to make it work in Debian, Mandrake or RedHat.

Perhaps you can help with a related matter. I started aptitude and put holds
on both the kernel and glx packages, but when I did apt-get dist-upgrade
they were replaced. Fine. Once I got that unsnarled I went into dselect and
put holds on the packages there and the problem went away.

This morning I started aptitude and told it to upgrade, and it replaced both
packages (along with a lot of other stuff I hadn't planned on upgrading).
Sheesh. So I purged/reinstalled again, and again put holds on the packages
in aptitude.

So here's the question -- how many different ways do I need to tell the
system to keepen its little mittens offen those packages? Can you suggest
another/better way to accomplish this?

Kevin