Re: nvidia video cards

Dan Hunt wrote:
> I went "apt-get install nvidia-kernel-src" and
>        "apt-get install nvidia-glx-src"
> and I found the instructions a bit confusing,
> /usr/doc/nvidia-kernel-src/README.Debian
>
> cd linux ( or your kernel source directory )
>
>  O.K. I have a stock kernel installed
>  2.4.18-bf2.4 and I installed the kernel-headers package, but
>  I think I needed to get something else instead.
>
> Anyone offer a tip?

First off, I have never personally been successful getting the
proprietary nvidia driver working with a kernel that I did not compile
myself.  But it always worked flawlessly with kernels that I did
compile myself.  I have been guessing that it is something related to
needing to compile the kernel and the modules with the same compiler.
When I use bf24 kernel the nvidia module won't load.  I have been
using the stock woody compiler.  Seeing that you are running the
bootstrapping bf24 kernel I might guess that this is going to be a
problem for you.  But perhaps not as it might just be a local issue on
my end.  YMMV.  Heads up.

Otherwise, if you can stand my terse shorthand notation, here are the
exact steps that I have used in the past to install the nvidia
driver.

Note that I am using version 2880 because as of the last time I
checked the newer driver still had some bugs and screen artifacts but
the 2880 version seemed to work fine.  My problems were severe and
strange screen artifacts, menus still there even when not, pixels
patterns on the root screen, that type of thing and was almost
certainly related to the particular vidio card I am using.  I have
forgotten the exact version numbers that did not work for me.  Sorry
for the FUD because of that.  In the meantime I will just note that a
version sensitivity issue might exist.

Note that I normally do all work in /usr/src as myself as much as
possible.  I am in group 'src' and have write access to /usr/src as
myself.  I only use root for the steps that absolutely require it.
For those steps I use 'sudo'.  I use 'fakeroot' when possible for
building packages.

Get the bits onto your machine:
  cd /usr/src
  wget http://205.158.109.140/XFree86_40/1.0-2880/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2880.tar.gz
  wget http://205.158.109.140/XFree86_40/1.0-2880/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2880.tar.gz
  sudo apt-get install nvidia-kernel-src nvidia-glx-src

Build the kernel modules:
  cd /usr/src
  tar xzf nvidia-kernel-src.tar.gz
  cd kernel-source-2.4.18