upgrade to testing messed up lilo

hi all,
i'd been running a stable system (my mail server) since a long time without
any problems. yesterday i got a little adventorous and decided to upgrade it
to testing. did the usual apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade. everything
went on fine but after the install, squirrelmail would'nt take my passwords
at all. i checked up and everything seemed fine and so i decided to reboot
just for the heck of it. after the reboot the machine displayed LI only and
refused to go beyond that. i wonder what's wrong. during the upgrade it did
show some questions about lilo and i did everything right and ran /sbin/lilo
and it updated the boot sector fine. don't know what's wrong here now.