eth0: tx interrupt but no status

Hello, I am a new user. I installed Debian over the net then for the sake of exercise I compiled a newer kernel 2.4.17 and replaced the original. My machine is an older Compaq  Deskpro 166 Pentium. NIC Intel EtherExpress 16. Whenever I use ftp or http (logged on from another host) services on this machine the message: "eth0: tx interrupt but no status"  scrolls through the screen (by the hundreds). This message does not show up when I use network services working at that machine.
Thanks, Wojtek