Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE...

Am Die, 2003-03-04 um 02.08 schrieb Carla Schroder:
> On Monday 03 March 2003 04:26 pm, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> > I guess I didn't read close enough... I went and read up at the
> > davidpashley site and in it, he has an apt entry for getting KDE
> > packages. I used that and am running KDE right now.
> >
> > Any advantage to using the DEBs from KDE.org instead ??
> >
> > Hall
>
> In my experience, they are the most stable and trouble-free, and they are
> completely up-to-date. I'm running KDE 3.1 right now from kde.org, it's very
> nice. I don't use the KDE desktop itself, as I like IceWM, but I use a lot of
> KDE apps. 3.1 is a pretty big leap from 3.0, I'm very pleased with it.

After reading your e-mail i decided to give KDE another go. I normally
use WindowMaker in combination with the Gnome-Panel (you can see some
screenshots at http://www.hentges.net/linux_look.html).

All previous encounters with KDE were less than acceptable for me.

But now with 3.1 i have to say "WOW" ( and a mighty big WOW at that!)
This thing is *fast*. I'm running it on display :1 on a 600er Celeron
with a mere 256MB of RAM with WindowMaker and *lots* of open programs on
display 0.

No more sluggishness of Konqueror. This thing responds faster than
Windows (which in the case of KDE never has been the case before).

I've heard of KDE 3.1 being now more responsive but i would never have
guessed such a huge improvement.

/me bows to the KDE developers.

--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice