Re: Switch from Gnome to KDE...

* Carla Schroder (debian@bratgrrl.com) [030302 20:23]:
> On Sunday 02 March 2003 03:52 pm, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> > So, I'm pretty certain there are "K" equivalents to all "G"
> > applications. The only app I'm unsure about is Mozilla (and Phoenix). I
> > thought they depended on GTK libs, but 'apt-cache show mozilla-browser'
> > doesn't seem to indicate that. That's good !
>
> Why not keep both installed? Then you can use both sets of apps. Gnome apps
> run in KDE, KDE apps run in Gnome. And in any other window manager, for that
> matter.

I'm the type that actually looks at what packages I have installed every
so often and if I'm not using one, I get rid of it ! :) I'll run
'deborphan' to clean up any unneeded libs then.

If I'm not using gnome/gtk, I don't want it on my machine. That's just
the way I am...

> <snip>
> > It looks like unstable only has KDE 2.2 available. Isn't KDE up in the 3
> > range ?? I see an article at debianplanet.com the KDE3 started into SID
> > on Feb 5...
>
> Start here, KDE3 and Debian : Frequently Asked Questions
> http://davidpashley.com/debian-kde/faq.html
>
> There are at least three different sources for KDE debs. Use only the ones
> from kde.org.  KDE3 won't make it into stable for a while yet, though it will
> eventually. Stick with what the FAQ says and you'll be fine.

I'll look that over tonight or tomorrow. I imagine I'll be switching in
a matter of days.

Thanks !
Hall