Re: Power off

On March 2, 2003 09:38 am, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> -- Steve Wollkind <steve@njord.org> wrote
>
> (on Sunday, 02 March 2003, 09:51 AM -0600):
> > I have a similar problem with my computer here, with the added
> > bonus that when it is sitting there saying "power down" the power
> > switch becomes inactive, and to actually turn off the machine I
> > need to hit reset, and then the power button right after that.
> > I've tried with BIOS apm on and off, and with and without apmd.
> > Anyone have a similar problem and know how to fix it?  I don't
> > really care if it powers itself off, though that would be nice,
> > but the frozen power button annoys me.
>
> Many machines with ATX power supplies have a setting in BIOS that
> requires you to hold the power button in for ~4 seconds to power
> off. (Feature: your child can't turn of the computer just by
> pressing the button!)
>
> Check and see if this may be the case.

It should only take 4 seconds if the system is currently "busy" (sorry
for the non-technical explanation I dont really know how it
determines this).  On mine it will take 4 seconds if the system is
running but once debian displays "Power down" and I press the power
button it will shut off immediately.

Leo