Re: New To Debian - Couple of Questions

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 15:33, Joe Giles wrote:
> List,
>
> I am new to Debian and have a couple of generic questions. I have used
> Red Hat for years and I'm fairly comfortable with Linux. Here are some
> questions I have:
>
> 1> Is there a facility like Red Hat(up2date) where I can update packages
> on my system? Will apt-get work?

As everyone else says, use apt-get.  Here's my take on it, presuming
that you are a desktop user and want to be relatively current:
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get -u -t testing -s update  # this is to see if anything breaks
# apt-get -u -t testing update
#
# apt-get -s -t unstable -u install mozilla-browser \
              mozilla-psm libnspr4 libnss3
# apt-get -s -t unstable -u install evolution libbonobo-conf0 \
              libcamel0 libgal19 bonobo-conf libkrb53
# apt-get -s -t unstable -u install pan
#
# apt-get -t unstable -u install mozilla-browser \
              mozilla-psm libnspr4 libnss3
# apt-get -t unstable -u install evolution libbonobo-conf0 \
              libcamel0 libgal19 bonobo-conf libkrb53
# apt-get -t unstable -u install pan

> 2> Is the Kernal hacked and patched like the RedHat kernel?

Others have answered.

> 3> Would you rather just download the ISO's or would you rather use the
> jigdo app?

Since I have broadband, I just use the "netinst" iso to install Woody
and then never touch a Debian ISO on that box again.  After that, I only
install what I want directly off the internet.
http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/debian-cd/
http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/debian-cd/woody-i386-1.iso

> I appreciate the assistance and I'm sure I will enjoy Debian.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Joe
| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| The difference between Rock&Roll and Country Music?       |
| Old Rockers still on tour are pathetic, but old Country   |
| signers are still great.                                  |