Re: apm -s with vim open -> lockup

-- nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote
(on Saturday, 01 February 2003, 12:17 PM -0800):
> Matthew Weier OPhinney said:
> > I've got debian testing on my wife's old p-120 laptop; it works great, and
> > with the plethora of text tools I typically use, it's much more productive
> > than windows ever was on it.
> >
> > However, I've noticed some odd behaviour in relation to suspending while a
> > vim session is open: in a nutshell, when I try to wake the machine, it
> > won't. I have to turn it off and turn it on again.
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to do this (i.e., suspend
> > while a vim session is open)? I'd like to be able to walk away from the
> > machine while editing a file and not have to reboot to
> > continue!
>
> I cannot possibly imagine how vim could affect suspending in any
> way. are you running in X?

I can't imagine why, either -- yet I've been experiencing it. And the
behaviour happens in both X and from the console. I can have mutt or
slrn running, w3m, any number of other apps -- but if VIM is running, I
cannot resume from a suspend.

> worst case I suppose you could load vim in screen, or just hit ^Z to
> suspend the vim session then 'fg' to restore it. vim doesn't interact
> with the hardware in any way so it seems incredibly unlikely to me
> that vim would be the cause.

I already run VIM typically in screen. I may have several sessions open
on different screens, so I'd *prefer* not to need to background each of
them; if I'm going to do that, I might as well stop each of them before
suspending, as I'm doing now.

I'm most worried about when the machine goes into suspension by itself
-- say, for instance, I need to take a phone call and I'm not fiddling
with the keyboard, or I take my daughter back for her nap, etc. -- I've
been getting into a habit of saving and quitting from VIM before
suspending, but I'd prefer not to.

> it is not uncommon(for me at least) to have a laptop not suspend while
> in X. the workaround for me is to either risk CTRL+ALT+F1 and hope
> X can come back after a resume, or exit X and suspend from the console.

This is not a problem -- it suspends fine from either console or X.

Could it be a memory issue? I've only got 16MB on the machine.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net