apm -s with vim open -> lockup

I've got debian testing on my wife's old p-120 laptop; it works great,
and with the plethora of text tools I typically use, it's much more
productive than windows ever was on it.

However, I've noticed some odd behaviour in relation to suspending while
a vim session is open: in a nutshell, when I try to wake the machine, it
won't. I have to turn it off and turn it on again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to do this (i.e.,
suspend while a vim session is open)? I'd like to be able to walk away
from the machine while editing a file and not have to reboot to
continue!

TIA!

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney