Re: Howto redirect output from a terminal

-- Michael Kahle <michael.kahle@scc-wi.com> wrote
(on Wednesday, 29 January 2003, 02:18 PM -0600):

> > From: sean finney wrote:
> > heya,
> >
> > i'd suggest either nohup or screen.  the former is dirt
> > simple but not very featureful, and the second is the opposite.
>
> OK, I just installed screen, very cool program, but not what I am looking
> for.  I need to be able to run a program in a window.  Then when later
> logging into this machine remotely be able to view the output of a program
> that is running in the X terminal window that I started earlier when I was
> at the console.  Does that make more sense?  I read the man page for nohup,
> this is not going to do what I am asking.

You got a few other options, from the responses -- redirect output to a
file and run 'tail -f' on it from whatever terminal/window you want.

With screen, if you want to login and use a running screen, you simply
do a 'screen -D -r' -- this detaches it from the window that was using
it and attaches it to the terminal from which you're calling it. You can
also attach to the same screen without detaching -- 'screen -ls'
tells you the current screen sessions, and you simply attach to the one
you need.

(I'm writing this from a screen session -- it's nice because it can
perpetuate between X sessions, as well -- so if I decide to logout so
somebody else can use the computer, I simply detach my screen, logout,
and when I log back in, I can re-attach to where I left my work.)

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net