Re: Easiest Nameserver

Kirk Strauser wrote:

> At 2003-01-13T16:49:26Z, "Derrick 'dman' Hudson" <dman@dman.ddts.net> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 09:05:39AM -0600, Kirk Strauser wrote:
>
> >> and writing your "zone files" (which you'll have to do regardless of what
> >> DNS software you which to use).
>
> > Technically this isn't true.  A DNS server isn't required to store the
> > zones in the same format as bind.

This last comment strikes me as excessively nitpicky. To say that you'll
have to write zone files (or, more generally, configure your zones,
whether by writing files, using a web interface, or whatever) regardless
of which DNS software you choose is a reasonable statement. I don't see
any implication that these files will be in any particular format.

ObPlug: I use maradns, and am generally quite happy with it.

> > djbdns comes to mind, as (IIRC) it stores the records as funkily named
> > empty files in a certain directory.
>
> That's a surprise.  ;-)

Yes, that is rather strange. So each entry uses up an inode? Yuck.

> > This is not meant to start an ISC vs. DJB (vs. others) war,

Aw, why not? Flamewars are fun, and djb fans are almost as trollable as
Canadians or Star Trek groupies, though admittedly somewhat less so than
Mensans.

Craig