SOLVED: Re: starting X

on Fri, 03 Jan 2003 03:31:07PM -0500, sean finney insinuated:
> On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 02:35:35AM -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> > however, it's segfaulting and refusing to do much once it gets to
> > the 'WindowMaker' line in my ~/.xsession.  ~/.xsession-errors
> > tells me it's because i can't create a GNUstep directory, and
> > tells me to run wmaker.inst:
>
> why can't it create the directory is what bothers me.  are the
> permissions on your home dir not allowing you to create directories?

nope:

mikan:/home> ls -l
drwx------  2   root  root  16384 Jan  2  16:03 lost+found/
drwx------  2   nori  nori   4096 Jan  3  15:11 nori/

it seems weird to me that i'm in the group 'nori' and not 'users', but
the permissions on my homedir are correct, and i can create
directories and files myself.  they *were* weird when i copied
everything from CD (everything was 444, pretty much -- but my homedir
never was) ... but i've changed the only ones that matter, afaict.

> or, perhaps if you've restored your homedir as root it's still owned
> by root?  what happens if you try and create it manually from the
> cmdline?

i can create it manually no problem.  but then WindowMaker says it
can't read the file /home/nori/GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker (which i
touched, but which for some reason contains

{
}

at the moment).

> normally if you don't have that directory it should create it
> automatically without complaining much.

yeah, it seems like it should ... i might try reinstalling wmaker or
something, or reconfiguring it ... woah, that did the trick ...
'apt-get install --reinstall wmaker'.  um, that was weird ...

thanks!

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu